The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

We finally moved into our dream home after 6 months of negotiation. It is a 4 bedroom log cabin on 11 heavily wooded acres in southern New Jersey and we just love it! We just have one small problem, bats. A lot of them. The first time I climbed into the attic I could see them hanging off of each other in strands that are 12 to 20 inches long. At night they come pouring out of the house in a display that reminds me of my trip to Carlsbad Caverns. (ok I'm exaggerating but there are a lot of them) They are entering the house between the soffit and the recessed portion of the round logs (where the chinking is). I am not sure how to get them out of the house and when I do, How can I keep them out. I would really like some advice. The bats have not entered the living area of the house yet but I want to take care of it before they do. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Views: 1440

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm anxious to hear some answers that you get also... We have had bats enter our living quarters (on occasion) during breeding season in July and were told that you can't 'exclude' them during that time or the babies will die in your attic. I've heard that right now is the best time of year to exclude them from coming back in. My hubby was going to try to install 'one way valves' on the house so that they can leave, but can't come back in. The trouble is with the time, he has not had the time to study this on the internet to make these valves. Also, the last time he checked our attic 2 weeks ago, there were no bats in the attic that he could see. He may just be able to find where they were getting in and rechink those areas.

Nothing is more freaky than to wake up with a bat flying around in your bedroom. Seeing that my hubby and I are the only mammals in the cabin that have not had rabies shots...it makes you pretty scared.
I had a few this spring as well. There's info on the web. I have open soffits at this time so they could get in easily. here's what I did. Got some plastic screen material. Cut it to seal off the the areas where they get up into the raffters. Stapled it on top and sides and cut it long about 10" to hang down next to the house, and left that open. So at night, bats could come out and hit the screen and find their way down between screen and house, but could not get back in.
Thanks for the reply! I ended up doing something very similar. I cut a pice of screen in 6 inch widths and ran it along the angle where the soffit meets the logs from the peak to the end of the overhang in one continuous piece. Then, stapled it tight enough they could not get back in. If you look close you can see the screen but it is pretty much hidden in the shadow and it sure beats a pile of guano on the porch roof. Right now I have about 3/4 of the house sealed. They keep finding holes and relocating. It is amazing what those things can squeeze into. Anyway, I recommend the screen idea to anyone. It is a great way to save the bats but keep them from nesting in undesirable areas.
I wish our bats would go to some "Belfry" and leave us alone for awhile. Our home is in the woods. We have 4' overhangs on the gables. A covered back porch and front deck with Gazebo.
Little buggers haven't decided to roost in the Gazebo as yet but they have been everywhere else.

I have tried to close every opening of more than an 1/8" in the outside. Oh, they do love to get inside the house, especially my daughters bedroom. Our cat goes into a "cat frenzy".

I placed a bat box on one gable to the back part of our house. Had to remove it because of all the guano and urine stains on the logs and concrete apron. the box was supposed to hold 300 bats and I assure you we had that many. Daughter took photos of them last summer hanging out of the bottom of that box.

We have a local exterminator that says he can get rid of them without killing them but I haven't called him yet. They actually hang on the top side of the logs under the porch and do their thing there also. I have tried blasting them with water, which they do not like. That works for about two days.

When I first checked the attic area they seem to prefer, we had at least a wheelbarrow load of guano at each gable end.

Positive side of it? We seldom get stung by a mosquito around the house but look out when you walk out into the woods!

sorry, I cannot be much help with getting rid of them.
What ever you do, PLEASE DO NOT kill the bats - most are considered endangered species. They are our friends, as they get rid of bugs and pollinate fruits - we wouldn't have a lot of fruit if it were not for these guys. And they are all not infested with rabies (sp?) - they can be quite friendly and they will not try to fly into your hair if you get close.

Understanding why bats are roosting in a particular spot is the key - comfort. The temp is right & protection from the elements are right, including wind, rain, and sun light.

If they're getting in through a hole, of course you cover the hole.

But if they're roosting in a overhang or under a porch, the only real way to solve this is to make the area less friendly for roosting. Use your imagination such as shinning a spotlight directly on the area in the early AM before they return, or after they have left for the evening, point a fan blowing air at the spot. Things that are very aromatic will discourage them from roosting in an area such as mothballs & dog/cat repellent. I've heard of people hanging tin-foil or balloons there.

But whatever you do, don't do it when they are there - they just fly into your hair! ;^)

And of course, you can't keep that fan or spotlight on for ever, or you'll get tired of explaining why that tin foil has been hanging there for 3 years, right?

So provide them with an alternative such as a bat house, or multiple bat houses. Put the bat house on the north side of a tree - that keeps it out of direct sunlight (heat) and gets the guano & urine away from your dwelling.

If it's winter, don't mess with them because they are very likely hibernating. If you do, you bring them out of that state and they will die. They'll be just fine in the winter because they don't urinate of defecate - they're heatbeats slow as little to - when the weather warms, they'll leave on their own, then you can take measures to keep them from returning there.

Being a caver (spelunker) for 27 years now, I've had bats crawling on me, held them in my hand (with gloves!) - these guys have my heart. Once you learn about the lives of bats, you start to realize just how similar they are to us, and how intertwine we all are in this world.

Watching these guys go about their business in the area above my yard on a warm summer evening is something I find very satisfying.

-Jay

I too have had bat problems and I have found two methods that work well. 1. Rat glue traps...hang these vertically where the bats are roosting,at night when its hot out they will fly into them and there they remain, stuck. this is not my first choice of treatment as they remain alive while stuck to the trap, but it does work well, Wear heavy gloves when handling. 2. High wattage bulbs in a motion sensor, this method was given to me via an exterminator, flooding the roosting area with light will deter them from landing. Remember bat feces are toxic, i don't know about thier urine. Last summer I was either bitten by a bat or hooked with the elbow claw while standing on my porch. Either way I had to undergo 10 rabbies shots that was not fun.Dr. also mentioned bats vaporize thier saliva, so if one flys near your facial area, you still need the shots as you may have breathed in the vapors. Remember bat houses will only draw more bats to your area. Sometimes killing them is the way to go. My exterminator absolutely advised against bat houses...Bats are NOT your pals (sorry Jay) they don't like you, they like your logs.... Don't get bit !  Regards  Don

IF you have bats entering your home, remember bat poop is toxic stuff. You should determine thier point of entry, bats can get in through a very small crack or crevice. Steel Wool will work, bats will not chew it to get in. This method has worked for my place.....Log Home Livin  AHHHH!   Regards  Don

We built our log home so there in no way a bat will get into the attic or anywhere else.  Our gables are log siding, and where the siding meets up to the roof overhang, we do have bats that linger up there.  They cannot get into our attic, or house, there are no entry points.  I don't really mind them, they eat bugs, so they have a purpose.  Now I will never understand the purpose of a wasp.  Something that may help, is every so often, hook up a power washer, and aim that at the areas the bats linger.  They will leave, and be able to continue living.  When I was staining my home a couple years ago, I would go half way up the ladder, spray the power washer, and they leave.  Now I asked my vet, should I worry about them biting???  He told me they are just like a mouse with wings, they are more scared of you, then you of them.  So when they come out, just duck and they will fly away, and they do.  So however and whenever you get them to leave, block those openings, and enjoy your home!!!

A bite by a mouse is not nearly as medically harmful as a bat. In my years in this Ripple Craft log home I find that different generations  of bats come back to the same roosting area as former family members. i can only liken this to insects that leave a scent trail that can last for years, like carpenter ants. you can wipe out a colony one year and the next year a new group with use the same entry trail to use. Yes...Iam fully aware of bats help in nature, but keep in mind they carry a bevy of dangerous bacteria and the mess they leave behind is a toxic stew. The droppings are many and urine stains on logs tedious to remove. I would liken them to be more like RATS with wings than mice. When I was bitten I was simply standing on the porch at dusk when a blur of black crossed my face, when i got inside my wife said "your forehead is bleeding" straight to the ER and my 1st of 10 rabbies shots was given. Bats are not hamsters and I deal with them as needed.  Regards   Don

Sorry that happened to you.  I was a foot away from one, when I was doing my gables (staining), and it came out, I ducked and it flew away.  One other year, one came out and slid down my back and crawled away.  (guess the Clorox dazed him)  I just never had a problem with them, other than irritating them when I stain the house ever 7 years.  For some reason the bats don't bother me, wasps, carpenter bees, and other bugs do. Regards Mary

Mary. If you see bats roosting in a paticular area, plugging the holes with steel wool works great for bats and mice, niether one will chew at it. And yes, Carpenter Bees pose the biggest problem I have. In spring when it warms to 75-80 degrees the females start looking for nesting sites. The damage they can do is amazing. The carpenter bee traps to me were useless, after buying 5 of them NO trap caught any bees, not one. The only good deterent (after trying many) was Bayer Termite and Carpenter Ant killer. Mixed double the usual dose. I had no luck with the much touted Martin's Viper Insecticide. Good Luck Offing All The Critters.........Don

Please DO kill bats,if you have a constant problem they are not pets and can cause a world of grief if bitten, I kill all pests that threaten my home. No Matter What !!

RSS

Sponsors:

© 2014   Created by Neighborhood Host.

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service