The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Welcome to The Log Home Neighborhood! We're glad you stopped by.

Feel free to introduce yourself here, or, create a profile and start uploading photos and videos, start blogging, join groups and take advantage of all the best resources the The Log Home Neighborhood has to offer.

Oh, and by the way, I'm the Neighborhood Host - so let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns and I'll be more than happy to accommodate you!

Views: 5945

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello to all. I am new here and am hoping to get some sound advice and suggestion on my log home for which I have owned for the last 6 years now. I live in the southern climate in the mountains of Alabama. I have some concern now after I have stumbled across information on the web that says to never paint logs. Ok, I found a thread on here from a individual name Kim Windsor, and after reading his post, I felt like I had typed that verbatim, which was about stains and paint just like on his home. First of all, if this question and concern is in the wrong place for this forum please let me know so I can get it to the appropriate location in the forum. Ok, so here is the story and of my concerns. My home is 10 years old and I purchased it from a man who built it, and foreclosed soon after he built due to a job injury. He had the home stained inside and out, with I know was what the mfg suggested product as I was told by him; it appeared to be a poly stain if I had to guess. Anyways, after a few years, that stain was looking pretty rough; it was faded and dried out. I attempted to clean and pressure wash and it didn't do a whole lot of good. Of course then I wasn't educated on log homes and went to my Home Depot and spoke to a Behr representative and he suggested a Solid stain which I applied with a professional air sprayer. It looked like a latex and I called the Behr rep and questioned it, and he said it had penetrable stains in even though it looked like paint. Five years later that brown solid stain was looking bad and just too dark from the beginning. So back to my Home depot and we chose a cedar color latex paint, which was also sprayed on; and it looks great! Then later on I stumble across and read about the "PAINT" issues out there on the internet. So I then dig into reading more and 'PANIC" sets in, similarly like the post by KIM WINDSOR as I mentioned.  Ok, I have been around remodeling and construction my whole life now at 48 years of age. I have read all the whys and dont's  on paint and oil based stains shouldn't be used on logs and from what I am reading it is all about not letting the log breathe and wick when needed to. Ok, so some of the questions I start asking myself with my situation now that paint has been applied this past year are: with the fact that only the outside of the log is painted, is it not enough that it can breathe on the other side, and also with all the checks that are in the logs, is that also not enough room for it to breathe. My home has a 3/4 wrap around covered deck which the majority of the logs are not exposed to any water or sun. My question with the fact that it is mostly covered is that going to change my situation with the paint on the external side of the log? I do have one side of log that is exposed to the elements and I guess that may be my biggest threat with this. My dormers on the house are also somewhat exposed to the weather elements, but they are log siding, and I figured if there is ever a problem with them, I would just rip them off and replace. Any professional thought and suggestion about my unique situation of what I should do and not to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Blane

Call me Ishmael.

I recently bought a 200 year old log house in West Virginia, near the Blue Ridge Mountains.  Like many old houses, it has grown over time, in this case from a two storey log cabin on a stone foundation into something about twice the size, extended in two directions.  The oldest part of the house has (I'm told) chestnut logs, squared off to about 10-15 inches, with the chinking between them ranging from 6 to 10 inches.  The newest part was lovingly built by a previous owner to match the oldest, just a couple of decades ago, using reclaimed timbers in the same style and scale, and chinked to match, atop a cement block foundation with stone facing that almost matches.  I committed the sin of putting a modern kitchen into the in-between-age section of the house, which is stick-built and probably dates from around the 1940s.  There are wide plank hardwood floors in every room - some cherry, some heart pine, and walnut in the room that is now the kitchen.  The whole thing is capped off with a metal roof (one section about 10 years old, the rest just 2 years).  Above the original house, the roof is carried on rafters that are peg-joined at the ridge.  The whole place was inspected by a guy who frequently works with historic homes around here, and knows what to look for and how to evaluate it.

I'm here because, while I'm not in over my head yet, I will be soon enough.  I'm hoping to find local-ish craftsmen who understand vintage log construction, and to learn enough to be able to keep this place in the wonderful shape I received it in.  My first questions will probably be about chinking techniques and materials, since I have a few places that probably could do with improved sealing (no air infiltration, thank goodness!).  I know the previous owner at least knew of Permachink, because I got one of their catalogs in his name :-)

I can see already that most of the posts here are about new construction of peeled-log houses, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only vintage owner around :-)

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jim and my wife's name is Amie.  We are very new log home owners (move-in date was 11/18/2016).  Our log home is located in St. Charles, Michigan (southwest of Saginaw).  It was built in 2005 by Bob Kenel (Grizzly Bob).  We're really looking forward learning from your experience and expertise.  Thanks for the opportunity.

Attachments:
Hi Jim,
We are doug@degriselles.com and Mary from cedar stuff in Lewiston, we create unique rustic furniture pieces, you can check us out on fab at cedarstuff
Enjoy the cozy log home, grizly was a great builder
Attachments:

Hi, I am from Canada, I have a home log but, it needs has been used and wasted. I want to remodel and restore it. That's why I am here to get some tips and ideas.

Thanks for accepting me. 

Hello,

I am just starting a new build in Gatlinburg, TN.  The area was hit very hard by a wildfire which destroyed the vacation cabin I had always rented.  After the fire, the owner decided to sell it to me.  That's the short version of how i came to build a log cabin.

Has anyone one here ever built a log cabin in Gatlinburg?  

How are codes departments handling log structures now a days?

I look forward to contributing to this site and gaining info as well.

Thanks,

Jerrod

Hi everyone, I have recently joined this forum.

Well in the process of purchasing our first log home in Oklahoma.  Thought I'd join the group and learn as much as I can.  Always wanted a log home and finally got an opportunity to own one.  I'll try and attach some pics.  Just saying hello to everyone and enjoying the info on this site!

Attachments:

RSS

© 2018   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service