The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Who likes to eat? I guess the real question is, who doesn't? Whether it's a regional delicacy or a simple snack, we know our virtual log home neighbors have a ton of fantastic recipes to share. So here's your chance to set your inner Rachael Ray or Emeril Lagasse loose on the world.

To get this dinner party started, I offer up two of my family's favorites: Corn Pudding and Watermelon Salsa. Enjoy!

Corn Pudding
- submitted by Donna Peak
serves 6-8
Note: This is an easy side dish that perfectly complements roasted chicken or turkey, and will solicit "oohs and aahs come Thanksgiving.

2 cups of corn kernels
1 can creamed corn
1 8 oz container of French onion dip
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 8.5 oz. box of corn muffin mix
1/4 cup butter or margerine
1 jar sliced sweet pimientos
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a deep, 8-cup casserole dish with vegetable oil spray.

Mix corn kernels, creamed corn, onion dip, egg, muffin mix and butter into a large bowl. Fold in pimientos, red pepper, salt and black pepper. Scrape into casserole dish and bake at 350 for 90 minutes or until set and lightly golden brown on top. Serve immediately.

Watermelon Salsa
--submitted by Donna Peak
serves 8
This "salsa" is really more of a summer salad/side dish. It's a refreshing, unexpected contribution to a picnic and it can't get any easier - no cooking required.

4 cups chopped, seedless watermelon
1/3 c. red onion
1 Tbls. fresh, chopped cilantro
1-2 Tbls. fresh, chopped mint
1/4 balsamic vinegar
2 Tbls. lime juice
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients and coat well with vinegar/lime juice. Chill before serving.

Views: 633

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Definitely have to give this one a try. My husband loves corn-based soups/chowders, but so far, all five or so recipes I've tried at home have fallen a distant second to Progresso (certainly a time saver, but not quite what I was going for). It sounds like it has the right amount of spice to make it interesting.
Oh it's just YUMMY! Got it from a restaurant that went out of business due to poor management not poor food. If you have time, blister the peppers to burn the skin off before you add them. Give a nice smokey flavor to the soup.

Beth
This sounds amazing. I love making homemade soups in the winter (I'm trying my hand at Muligawtani -- remember that from Seinfeld? -- so I'll let you know how it is.) I'm definitely going to try this one.
Donna, Thanks for starting this discussion...what a lot of great recipes. For those interested, I received the book "In Defence of Food" by Michael Pollen for Christmas and my wife and I have changed our eating habits and have even lost weight. I had read "The Omnivores Dilemma" prior to this book and didn't truly appreciate where our food comes from until then.
We eat grass fed beef, lamb and goat as a result of these books which presented a challenge as I had never cooked goat but it has become our favorite meat and NO....It sure doesn't taste like chicken.
Well that does it...I'm getting a smoker to go with my grill. And pass the ribs please...

And I have to try that Mexican chicken corn chowder.....

I gained 5 lbs just reading this thread....

Beth
OK - I'm jumping into the fray here! Food is yumm!!! All these recipes look awesome! I'm going to try out the chai recipe this week. Here's one of my family's favorites:

Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder

1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
1/2 c. onion
2-3 cloves garlic (I use extra 'cause I like it!)
Salt & pepper to taste
1 c. chicken broth
1-2 Tbsp. cumin
1 15 oz. can cream corn
1 15 oz. can corn (can use frozen)
2 small cans chopped green chiles
2 c. (1 pint) half & half
2 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Garnish:
Tobasco or other hot sauce to taste
chopped tomatoe
Chopped cilantro

Heat olive oil over med-high heat. Add in onion & cook until clear. Add in garlic and cook another minute. (Don't over cook - burnt garlic is yuck!) Add in chicken and season with salt and pepper - just a small amount will do. I always use more chicken than the recipe calls for because my husband is a true carnivore. Cook chicken until done. Add in chicken broth and cumin and simmer for 5 min. to allow flavors to meld. Add in cream corn, corn and green chiles and cook until heated through. Add in half & half and cook until heated through. Finally, add in cheese and cook until melted. Garnish with hot sauce, tomatoes and cilantro. Serve with warm tortillas or tortilla chips.

Enjoy! This recipe is super quick to make. Even if the chicken is frozen, it takes me no more than 20 min. to make it. Great for a snowy day.
Alan, Your presentation is wonderful.......
You do look like you eat only meat, and that's OK - my hubby will appreciate that. Whenever he's asked what kind of cake he wants for his birthday, he says, "I don't want a birthday cake. Give me a birthday steak!"

Those fish tacos do look yummy......
We like meat, too. That cranberry relish look yummy. I will have to try that out this summer. I always buy 5 or 6 bags of cranberries when they're on sale during the holidays so I can have them around during the summer.

We have so many farmers markets around here where I can buy organic for cheaper than non-organic, I generally go organic on everything. I get my beef from a rancher in my parent's town in podunk Nebraska. It, too, is organic, all corn fed and so naturally lean I have to sometimes add fat back in to get my burgers to stick together. :-)

I'm one who's glad that organic is getting less "chic" and more mainstream. It brings the prices down.

Happy cooking! I'm looking forward to some 'que myself - just as soon as these 6-12" of snow go away....
I'm not a big cook, but I am on a seafood diet, I see food and I eat it, if u guy's like falling off the bone BBQ, try this one, mix apple cider vinegar with brown sugar into a sei- loose paste, then swim the raw meat through the mix, then wrap the dripping meat into a double foil wrap and throw it on the hot grill. cook each side for about 45 nim. or so, then dive into your favorite sauce on the stove and keep warm, you never taste the apple cider vinegar, and it's falling off the bone, too die for!!!!
Exactly, cut the foil packs open and the steaming meat is falling apart, then I submerge it in my fav. suace in a big pot, I let it stew on low for a while, the glory of the system is, it's kinda maintenance free when you leave it on the grill, flip once, and it's done. Learned it from an old timmer.
I'm gonna try that. That's easy and I think I could eat falling-off-the-bone bbq every day.....

RSS

© 2018   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service