The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

What is best stain for exterior of log home?

Views: 22214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My log home was originally stained and sealed two years ago.  I am starting to think about redoing it probably next year.  Besides restaining, does it need any other treatments beforehand??  What about for the porch and deck...Just pressure clean and reseal?  Do logs on house need pressure cleaned also before resealing/staining?

Can you please email me your guide? cdudas@live.com

We have a mess on our hands due to a contractor overstating his abilities.  Our white pine log home has been stripped but not well, so there are some streaks.  The contractor is dodging our calls and won't come back.  We are trying to find someone to finish the job.  The only person we have found so far wants $16,000 to strip the logs again and do 2 coats of stain.  This seems awfully high.  The home is only 2100 square feet.  What is the price range for this type of work?  I don't really have a clue - I'm sure there are a lot of variables but this just seems exorbitant.  We are leaning towards Weatherseal stain.  The home is located in Western New York. 

Connie - I emailed you an educational booklet called "Keeping the Dream Alive", along with some contractor names.  Let me know if you got it.

Thanks!  -- Charis w/ Sashco - www.sashco.com/log - cbabcock@sashco.com

I did get them.  I'll print the booklet out tomorrow and give the contractors a call.  Thanks for your help!

Without seeing photos of the house and knowing where it is I can't tell you if it is fair or not. We restore log homes. We have done some for less than that, and some for substantially more than that. It depends on the house and what it needs. If the house is being stripped, you should also see line items on the quote for borate application, log buffing, any caulking that may need to be done or chinking repair or the like, and which product they are installing. Some are better than others. Check licensing, check insurance, check the BBB rating.

Beth Borrego

Vice President

See Dirt Run Inc. Log Home Care

After reading this entire thread, I think I am going to go with an oil based stain. Either the one Terry used (TWP 100), or the WeatherSeal product.

The reasons for my choice are as follows:

I am a "do-it-yourself" kind of guy. With a water based stain/top coat, I feel there is a greater chance I could screw it up.

I'm concerned with flaking/peeling of the clear coat. My current house stain peeled and it really was a PITA to re-stain it. What a crappy job!

While there appears to be a lot of advances with the two step process, I still believe, particularly after reading this thread (Awesome thread, BTW), that oil is a better preservative than water. The folks who promote these new "green" coatings do not have the history of oil stains.

I've also heard once you go with a 2 step (water based) stain, you can't (at least affordably) switch to oil, while oil to water based is fine.

It seems, based on my research, builders use the two step process because it is easier and more profitable. I question whether they would go this same route if it were their own home?

FWIW, my home is a northern white pine new log home in the White Mountains of NH (1000' elevation).

Edit, Weatherseal site shows the results of testing a few stains. Their Weatherseal appeared to hold up much better than all the lesser known brands (with the exception of "Structures Nature One" which appeared to hold up extremely well), and at least as good or better than the more popular brands.

Anyone have an info or experience on Natures One?

Terry.
Would you send me a copy if your "How to do " sheet?
Thanks Jim Email jrackley@embarqmail.com

Ray,

I would highly recommend taking a look at Weatherall's stain line which includes UV Guard, UV Guard II and SuSTAIN.  Finally, I would recommend taking a look at their Competitive Stain Test brochure, the results might surprise you. 

Anyways, good luck and let us know if we can provide any further assistance or free product samples.  Please contact me at john@logandtimberhomeproducts.com with any other questions.

John

www.LogandTimberHomeProducts.com

“Quality Products at Great Prices”

RSS

Sponsors:

© 2014   Created by Neighborhood Host.

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service