The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Hi everyone,


We have a small full bath (shower and no tub) upstairs in our log home that has no fan installed.  The room is about 8 x 6 with a vaulted ceiling to the roof.  My wife and I have got by for years by opening the window when we shower, but the room still does get some mildew that needs to be cleaned from the walls a few times a year.  Now that my kids are getting older and are graduating from baths (the downstairs bath has a tub and also no fan) to showers the upstairs bath is getting a lot more use which will undoubtedly create more mildew problems.  Since there is no attic and because we live in the cold and snowy northeast a ceiling vented fan is not a good option.  Has anyone found a good wall vent fan that works well in a bathroom?  What has everyone else done as far as venting bathrooms in log homes?



Views: 2625

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This was covered in a previous blog in Maintenance

Thanks Joe. I tried the search and it didn't come up.
Okay, not much in that older thread.

I'm thinking about going with this Panasonic through-the-wall fan:
It's costly but it seems to get good reviews and is quiet.

Still curious as to how others are venting their bathrooms in log homes.

Ok, I see you found it.


Due to my experience it is better to order local service in this question. I think the main problem is not in need some changes in your air track. Have such problem in my bath...change my flooring 2 times because of mildew... this company helped me with my air condition. 2 years passed -all is ok!

We too are really interested in how everyone vented their bathrooms, especially with multiple bathrooms.

Also has anyone vented their dryer through the roof?
Patty, The run for a dryer vent should be as straight and as short as possible.....unless your dryer is in the attic, I would go through the wall.
Tim, are you saying it would be best to run the dryer vent through the log wall?
Susan, I would follow the directions on the venting kit....I am paranoid about fires in the vent.....we clean ours often.......I wouldn't have a problem running it through the log wall although it is a source for rot due to the heat/ may be able to run it down and out through the subfloor joists......
Tim is right about possible fire problems. I had ignored our dryer vent, although it didn't catch on fire, the dryer didn't dry very well and the pipe was FULL of lint. I was really shocked. You shouldn't use plastic vent and there should be as few turns or elbows as possible as Tim says. Also the metal pipe you use should be longer lengths as to several short lengths as the connections will catch and pile lint up to the point of blocking the pipe. Make sure connections run in the right direction towards direction of exhaust so the inside edges of the pipe won't be a catch for lint. Tape seams together with metallic tape instead of using sheet metal screws or rivets to catch lint on the inside. Make it easy to inspect from time to time.

Hi Tom,

Our situation sounds nearly identical to the one you describe.  I am curious to know what you decided and how things worked out?


Though dryers are essential they might breakdown and malfunction. This can easily be avoided. Lint clogged dryer vent is a potential cause for fire as it may cause dryer to take twice as long as to dry. A congested dryer vent exhaust can cause fire hazard with lint buildup. Always have a fire plan ready for your home .

Home security alarm services claim that corrugated exhaust vent is degrading and is no longer accepted by city codes and can cause leaks and fires. I would personally suggest you to replace older materials with semi- rigid metal ducts. Same with loose gas ducts.



© 2018   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service