The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Hello all! My wife and I want to build a log home in Va. Neither of us know much about them, but I do take care of a lady's Jack Pine home, but that all the knowledge I have. I have heard that cedar is more detouring for insects and won't split as much as pine, but then again, I've heard that you could add a borate-glycol preservative to pine that should keep the insects away. The actual home we are looking at is Eastern White Pine as well. I was just wondering, for those of you who are living in current log homes, why you decided to choose that type of wood and what you did to the wood once it was erected? I thank you all in advance for your input!!

Views: 754

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Like I have said before, I would go with a white  cedar or a white pine, but cedar would be my first choice, ,when I  build again.  I built my log  home in 1989, and I stay up on the industry, because I do plan to build a vacation home, in the next few years.  Good Luck in your business and good luck to Lereg15 in your endeavors!

I still debating at this point. Both of you have some valid points, and I appreciate the input!! Once we get to the whole building process, it's more than likely going to be my wife's choice, with a little say for me, if any, lol.

I built mine out of white cedar from my lot.  I like it....but I like pine too.  Its chink style, hewn flat on the face.  The only problem is the taper of white cedar for full length logs, you don't have this with white pine (they are larger and more uniform). So you are very limited on length of walls if you don't want butt joints etc.  Milled logs are no problem, since they are all uniform.  I sprayed mine with borate anyway.

We are not a fan of the chinking and want to have round or d-shaped logs. Would that effect the taper for the cedar, or with them being wider would it even matter? We'd like the butt and pass system, but as far as I know, that's just for the corner sections.

Milled logs are all pretty much uniform in size...so you will get a standard size;  6"x8", 8" x8", 10"x8"  etc.  With white cedar you will generally get 6" x 8" or 8" x8" D logs....some lath turned up to 10".  Red cedar is bigger, Pine is bigger.  If you go with handcrafted full logs, then you would see the taper very prevalent in white cedar.

I believe this is an example of full round handcrafted white cedar log home from Summit (I don't think this is red cedar);

http://www.loghome.com/summit-handcrafted-log-homes-2/

Small trapper cabin from Michigan log homes, flat sawn logs 2 sides;

http://www.michiganloghomes.com/cabins.htm

Red cedar from Tim Bullock I believe;

http://tamaracklogandtimberhomes.com/custom-log-homes/round-log-ful...

For milled there are many out there....I am sure some of the guys(gals) on this forum would give their info etc.

I love that first house, but am afraid it's way out of my price range!

I could not guess on the price.

Everything is expensive for me.

I hear ya!! Without help from my father in law, I wouldn't be looking for one now!!

Cedar or Pine??

Great question. Many of our customers ask which species is best for their house location.

Generally speaking we suggest Western Red Cedar when customers are building a house where bug infestation may be a concern.  The natural oils in cedar are a wonderful deterrent, we built 4 log structures near Galveston Texas where termites where a cause for concern, there we laid copper flashing down around the perimeter of the foundation below the first round of log work, termites hate copper.  

In the past 35 years we've build western red cedar log homes around the world, recently in Italy, Wisconsin and the "rainy" West Coast of Canada.  As you can imagine all have very different climates, some hot and humid, some damp and cool and others quite temperate, after literally years of planning and research each family decided to build using Western Red Cedar (WRC).  Plus, WRC is full of natural character and is available in large diameters for a better insulated house.

As far a checking is concerned, all wood species are prone to checking.  We only use older growth (250-300) year old WRC.  We purchase the wood for each of our projects between 4 months and a year before we begin using it, we also only use winter cut timber as the sap wood hasn't developed yet.  This will allow the wood to dry naturally before we build with it.  We also kerf cut the top of the horizontal logs and over scribe our notches to ensure long lasting tight joinery. 

Check out our website for some more info.  Hopefully we we're able to help out a little.

http://www.artisanlog.com

Attachments:
We chose Alaskan yellow cedar see comments before re insects checking and the like. stained the outside a warm golden tone and the inside was stained a transparent pickled white to keep the wood from turning yellow, so its basically light blond, as I couldn't imagine living with dark walls ( aka red cedar) Love the look, love how the house held up. I wouldn't like the idea to have pressure treated wood in the interior of my home ( boron or otherwise) it says after all that it is of " low mammalian toxicity" not that there is no toxicity....

Wow...thats neat.

I haven't heard of people using Alaskan yellow cedar for log homes.  I have seen the shingles and shakes.  I bet its beautiful.

I wanted to share our TV opportunity with you to possibly feature your project. I can answer any questions about our show, but I have attached the flyer.  I hope we can help!

Cindy

Casting AP

310-957-5757 x261

RSS

Sponsors:

© 2014   Created by Neighborhood Host.

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service