The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

I was wondering if anyone would know the estimated cost of cob blasting a 1900 sq ft ranch style log home. The house was built in 1994 and has never been recoated but is in pretty decent shape. I tried power washing one end but it removes part of the finishing fairly easy creating a spotted looked. I wanted the finish to have a like new look again and I just don’t think I’ll get those results from power washing.

Views: 10402

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Could you post a couple pictures. I bought a cabin two years ago that was built in 1979. last owner painted it before it sat empty for a couple years. I'm in same boat as you were. structurally sound and logs mostly in good shape but needs a serious face lift. Im extremely handy and plan to do most work myself.

If I still had the pictures I would, but laptop crashed that I had them saved on. I would advise of taking a work shop class, before diving in. "Perma-Chink offers them. I did not use their products as I wanted to go back with Sikkens but I did learn a lot. Many You tube videos you can search on cob blasting as well. I use straight cob on mine but some folks use a mixture of cob & fine sand if you have a heavy build up of paints to cut through, I would start with cob and light air pressure, working your way up to the amount of air & media that you need to prevent damage from being to aggressive. It's going to take some time from start to finish.....

HA!  I guess I have a little more experience with my logs then I do with replying to forum posts...  I will check the post date from now on.  

That's amazing to hear that you were able to complete everything yourself.  Do you have photos to share of the finished product?

What stain and chinking materials and colors did you end up using?

Thomas Elliott

Log Home Finishing

Didn't do it myself.  Well, I tried for 4 1/2 years to do it myself but then like I said we had a bit of a windfall which made it possible for us to go the professional route, at least on bringing the log maintanence up to current.  I am currently chinking DIY style.  Quite a job I must say but it's going well, and slow.

Work done by Alpine Log & Timber Finishes Golden, Colorado.

Sashco Transformations - Medium Brown

Chink (not shown in photos) PermaChink - Brown

Log ends and checks - Weatherall UV Guard Textured - Expresso

© 2015   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service