Has anyone had their log home built through the winter? We're anxious to get started with our log home, and even though I have a design drafted - we still have to get the plans, engineering, country approval, and all that other prep work. It's almost May and getting something dried-in before the winter rain & snow is sounding unrealistic. Our builder has told us that it can be done, but weather will slow things down. I wondering if we should wait until next year to start building. Anyone have any experience with this? We had a small vacation home built long ago (not log) and snow built up when the foundation was set and that crawl space was always damp. The log home we plan to build will have a basement, so maybe that won't be such an issue. Comments are welcome!
I did. My foundation was in around Thanksgiving (nov) and the home was dried in (under roof) in December. We had a mild winter that year, and it only snowed lightly once. I found that your subcontractors, are not that busy in the winter, so they tend to show up on time, cause they need the money to get through the winter months LOL. So we broke ground in Nov and moved in in April. Granted we still had things to do, but we could move in, and we did. I would consider, if I were you, starting in possibly September, and then you could be dried in (shell erected under roof) before any bad weather would hit. Keep as much lumber as you can in the erected shell, and if any is to be left outside, make sure it is up off the ground and tarped. Any tools left inside the home, keep covered, we had a burglary, so any nosey people won't see your tools. One home we rented a covered truck trailer and locked them in that with some lumber. My advice, winter is a great time to build, it worked out well for me! Good Luck!!!
We build homes in Breckenridge at 11,000 feet in the middle of January 0 degrees, snowing everyday. Everything worked great, was happy to have the winter business. Currently I have already completed 2 log home restorations this Spring, and it's still below freezing every night and snowing every other day. Don't believe the hype, JUST DO IT!
We did the same thing last year. We broke ground on Labor day weekend and were dried in by Thanksgiving and we are in Upstate NY. Just make sure your builder is on the same page as the log home company it make things so much easier.
Thanks everyone for your input. Our builder was so helpful with this as well - he suggested that we continue to move forward with our plans, county approval, etc so we can break ground and set the foundation. At that point we can decide if we can get dried in before winter, or build through winter, or wait until spring. If we do wait, nothing will happen to the concrete and we'll be set to go that much sooner next year. He also warned us about rushing through the planning stage - NOT to do that just to meet a building deadline. It's better to get it right before building (and then deciding to make changes). Sound advise from all! The builder and log home company have been working together for a number of years (not exclusively either), so I think we have a pretty good team. Ok, will post designs for everyone's input soon (I hope)!