The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

22 years ago we built our log home, staining on the inside with Sikkens Interior, two coats. We are thinking of selling soon (it's been a great home - it's just too much for us at our age!).  When I take wall decor down (pictures, etc.) the log behind it is a much lighter color than the log not covered by the wall decor. I knew this would happen, but what can I do to get a more uniform color on the interior logs? Let me rephrase that - what can I do that is the easiest and the least amount of work!   HELP!    -Doug

Views: 202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agreed - Dang pictures!

The easiest and least amount of work would be to leave the pictures up, inform the new buyers of the work that might be necessary to repair that, and sell it as-is. :-) (OK OK. I was being a little ornery there.)

A couple of options for you:

1) Stain those areas with a very light colored stain that would match the surrounding yellowed wood. Might mean you have to go over the entire area with a clear coat to get a good match. This is going to be the easiest labor-wise, but the hardest to get a match.

2) Sand down those areas and feather into surrounding wood so the delineation is harder to see. Again, a clear coat will hide things a bit more. And again, getting a good match will be difficult.

3) Hardest but most effective would be sanding down all of the affected walls and applying a single color of stain and a coat or two of a clear coat. I would negotiate to have the cost of this work included in the sale price of the home.

Hope that helps some. Good luck with the sale!

--- Charis w/ Sashco - www.logsaintwood.com - cbabcock@sashco.com

Thanks, man. Appreciate it. I like the suggestion in your first paragraph! LOL!

I've known many who've done that. Depending on the buyer, they sometimes want to refinish anyhow, so I'd certainly consider that option. Your realtor may have some thoughts on that, as well.

Is there anyway of avoiding this or does it happen to most log homes where pictures are hung?

Hi Charis!  Been quite a while since we last posted.  We're not thinking of selling anytime soon but am interested in this topic as it is happening in our log home as well.  At construction we wanted interior wood to be as close to natural as possible so the contractor put Semi gloss, oil based sanding sealer on them.   Would these options work for us as well?  

Thanks.

Shelley  

Hi, Shelley.

Wood will turn yellow over time on its own, due to both UV exposure and oxygen exposure. The oil-based sanding sealer will help limit the oxygen degradation some, but it'll do nothing about the UV exposure. At least in those areas where sun will be shining through windows, a very light stain will be necessary. It doesn't need to be heavy at all, but it's those pigments in the stain where you get the UV protection. (Add-in UV filters can help some, too, but they are degraded by sun over time. Think of UV filters as an SPF15 sunscreen and the pigment in stain as long sleeves. Those long sleeves will protect a whole lot better over time.)

Some of our customers will mix Capture stain with the Symphony interior clear coat to get the pigment protection without adding much color to the wood. The natural look is maintained without sacrificing protection. You might check with your contractor to see if he has an option like that available to you.

Hope that helps!

--- Charis w/ Sashco - www.sashco.com - cbabcock@sashco.com

I think if you are going to sell it, it would be best just to pass the problem on to the next owner.  You won't recoup your money.  You would be better off finding an unassuming buyer who doesn't realize how much money it's going to cost or better yet find a buyer that won't notice.  A good realtor can deal with this and draw attention away from the problem.  It's all in the presentation...  

You may also be able to solve the problem with lighting the area differently, such as having all of the lights on when a perspective buyer comes in an effort to drown out the contrasting imperfections that you describe.

I think this do nothing approach is best, trying to solve the problem the cheap way may in fact just draw a lot of attention to the problem and create more problems where none need be.

Remember pass the buck!

Bam!  Free solutions!

Thomas Elliott

Log Home Finishing

Thanks, Thomas. I like your thinking.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service