The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

I want to run some speaker wire to the outside of my log home.   Any suggestions?

Should I drill through the chinking or through the log?  Just put some insulation around the hole once I'm done?

Views: 477

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Drill downwards (so rain doesn't come in) and preferably not on exposed weather side.  Keep speaker wire length consistant for both left/right channels.  Then, either energy seal or chink around hole to keep rain from penetrating.  The speakers used need to be weather resistant.  White is not a good color to use longterm. 

The recessed ceiling mounted round speakers really sound good in a flat ceiling or soffit design.  The trouble I've heard with several outdoor speaker types is lack of "Bass".  Not sure what exterior "subwoofer" options available that hold up best to UV, weather, hot/cold extremes without cracking the cone?

Thanks, Chris.   Any downside on drilling downward through the chinking to minimize the amount of wood I've got to get through?

When you mentioned "energy seal" - any recommendations for log energy seal?  Great stuff?

As far as speakers are concerned, I've had decent luck with these -

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PDWR30B-3-5-Inch-Waterproof-Speakers/dp/...

and I'm planning on installing them under the eaves to minimize direct wetness and sun heat.

I prefer nicer speakers inside, but for a bbq or background noise on the deck, these do just fine.  In the late fall, I will take them down and bring them inside.   No need to expose them to the elements of a MN winter.

No drawback going thru the chinking in lieu of logs.  Just patch chinking hole after wiring pulled. 

The Energy Seal by PermaChink is good stuff.  Their standard colors are compatible with their stain.  For a minor upcharge, you can get custom Energy Seal colors to match exactly.  

I've seen and heard the "flatwire" product which is pretty slick.   Meant to be used with low voltage wiring (like speakers) and run up drywall (or chink joints) and then covered with mud/paint.  No noise degredation with speakers that I could tell.  www.flatwireready.com

No sure about the quality of a wireless speaker.  Maybe someday, they'll get the deep bass to travel without compromise, digitally. 

I seen and walked thru a garden design with speakers molded as "rocks", offering protection from weather.  Pretty cool and sounded great.  But they had wiring run to them.

Wireless speakers are getting much better -- the audio review sources would be a good place to check. You might also not need the same high fidelity outside as you would inside, since the ambient noise and open space is going to work against you anyway. If you really want a concert level experience outside, you are going to be paying a pretty penny.

Curious as to some of your advice here... low frequency bass is the least demanding in terms of bandwidth requirement and will be the least affected by a limited bandwidth wireless connection, or by compression.

Also, why do you think that matching speaker cable length matters?

What about wireless speakers? They use a radio transmitter to pick up the broadcast signal from your stereo. Look for speakers that are weather resistant. Try this search: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=wir...

Thanks, John.   I don't need much in terms of quality, but the last wireless speaker I had was not worth it.

Everytime I turned it on - 5 minutes of reconnecting; then occasional dropouts requiring power on/off; and very limited range (pretty much line of sight or worthless).

Thanks for the link - price has come way down; but I'm still seeing reviews on amazon about range issues.

If anyone has a recommendation for one that has transmitted through a log wall - I'll give it another spin.   My stereo is inside; I expect to put the speaker right outside it.  So range is only 2-3 feet; but through solid wood.

Thanks for all the help!

It's been a few years since you asked, but I'm using Sonos "Play 1" WiFi speakers in my 200 year old log home.  They're working great - the drivers are awsome for what otherwise looks like a bookshelf speaker.  And they're network-attached, so you can plan from Amazon Music, Pandora, TuneIn Radio, and basically every other streaming media source, as well as from your own music storage if you've got it.  My home has 10-15" log walls, and I'm not having any reception problems.  All these things need is AC power and a WiFi network to join up with.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service