The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

We are in the design phase for our log home.  I will be acting as our g.c. and our electrician.  What are the do's and dont's of doing electric in a log home?  Can we put can lights in an exposed wood ceiling on the main floor if there are bedrooms on the cape cod level or 2nd level?  What do we do about sound issues from people walking around on the 2nd floor.  What other options has other people come across for lighting other than can lights, fan/light combos and track lighting?

Views: 392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The pros could tell you much more on how they do it.

I lower my decks.  The wrap around porch covers my small log house section so I probably could have gone level with no problems (as its covered)...but I put my deck below the sill log.  Make sure the band joist area is flashed or similar good.

I leave a small space between the decking and the house for possible run off....however most of the PT with shrink considerably leaving gaps between the planks.

Covered decks are great, they not only protect the logs, and increase your living space (great dining on the porch etc.), but in snow country NO MORE SNOW PILE UP ON UNCOVERED DECK.

My deck is a bit different because I used cedar trees for joist (sawed flat with chainsaw)..than I used PT 5/4 decking.  They are connected to the bad joist with pieces of galvanized angle iron, lagged into the band joist, and then the log joist are secured with screws to the angle iron (underside) and a log screw up top.....overkill I know.

Electrical;

I don't have any water bibs near my receptables.  I placed them where I use the most water;  One side garden, another my hens, and another the drive where I wash my car etc.

PEX is so easy to do with crimping tool....put the fittings together and crimp...DONE.  No more soldering copper pipe, or gluing CPVC.

Also, I made similar wooden plaques for my front porch sconces.  This is a stick frame bump off (see the pic).. they worked well I thought.

You can also route out floor beams as a wire chase for ceiling lights...but you have to know exactly where everything is going to go.  But for my "one man and woman" crew, we had to be quick before winter set in.

Attachments:

More things to think about;

Also another thing to consider is a heat pump water heater.  Pricey I know...but some states now offer energy rebates (mine offers $300).  Now here is the deal...they cost mucho less to operate (although longer to heat up).  Not only that but they reduce the humidity in your basement so you don't need a dehumidifier in the summer months (which cost more than the hot water heater to operate.  This will be my next purchase. 

I already went through the propane instant hot water heater, over 1 K and the gas valve went in 4 years (another $380)....so this time around I bought a cheap electric unit, which actually does not cost us anymore to run than the propane unit, and when it fails its cheaper than the propane heater (payback can be over 10 years or more in some areas).

Many people in my area have had great luck with the heat pump units, because they dehumidify their basements and hot water is basically free ($25 a month for heat pump water heater and $30 for dehumidfier).

RSS

Sponsors:

© 2014   Created by Neighborhood Host.

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service