The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

I need to sand the exterior of my log home and was wondering what kind of sander to use?  I have 9" round mill logs and I am a bit perplexed about the corner where a round sander will not go and what would be best to approach this task.  Can you make few suggestions? Thank You.

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Those corners can be tricky! For the large portion, we actually recommend Osborn Brushes. They're silica carbide brushes, 80 grit, that fit on the end of a variable speed grinder. You'd need the 6" brush. Depending on what you have to remove, a couple of them will be enough for the average size home. You won't have to deal with switching out sandpaper or sanding disks as much. There's a good video here: https://youtu.be/t6eUJoCTyo0

Hope this helps for now! If you have more questions about your project, feel free to respond here or reach out via email. I'm happy to be a resource.

Have a great weekend!

--- Charis w/ Sashco - www.sashco.com/log-home - cbabcock@sashco.com

I agree. Osborn brushes should do a great job at sanding your home. 

I am in the process of refinishing my logs right  now. I actually just finished the sanding process last week. I used an orbital sander with 80 grit disks on areas that still had a lot of finish left. Then went over entire cabin with the Osborn brush. The brush worked great if there was little finish left to take off. You can get to a lot of tight areas with it also. I did end up using a Dremel oscillating tool with sanding pad and 80 grit paper in tight areas and corners around windows where brush just couldn't get. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on it! Good luck

RSS

© 2018   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service