The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

So we are here in Southern IL, and trying to decide if we want to take the plunge on a log home. My wife and I both agree we want a rustic home (which is half the battle as far as I'm concerned) but can we really afford the log home we want? 

We have found this home at Satterwhite log homes...http://www.satterwhite-log-homes.com/g4/pages/plans/misty_ridge.html    and love the design.  From what I have learned, to buy this package from Satterwhite, have them shell it, and find a builder locally to finish I am looking at north of $400k and thats not including finishing the basement. This is just my rough figure as I have not talked to a builder, but we have built 2 homes so we know a little about whats involved. However, we have only delt with stick built homes, so I can imagine interior wood finishing can get rather costly. We hate sheetrock!

I would like to get some opinions on this style of home and if I am better off as far as price is concerned to find a builder locally and have them get the materials locally or use a company like Satterwhite. I have read on here buying a kit is more expensive, but is it really when you figure in all the experience and materials you are getting? 

Oh so many options.

Views: 1011

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Northern Lights Log Homes is custom, handcrafted log home company that has been building log homes across the United States for over 30 years. We have two locations; East- Massachusetts, West- Montana. You can bring any floor plan or we have several floor plans to choose from. You can email us at northernlightsloghomes@yahoo.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Northern-Lights-Log-Homes/3590680429...

Colin, Who are you? I looked for a website and couldn't find a thing....after 30 years I would think that you would have something more than Facebook? Call me skeptical but as Desi said to Lucy: "splain yourself"....

Tim Bullock www.tamaracklogandtimberhomes.com

Hello Folks, It may be wise to check with your lender to see if they will let you be your own General Contractor. Use a log home company that has a local dealer who can get your house under roof and then finish it with local craftsmen. This can save you money if you have the time and the energy to get bids,schedule trades,supervise the work,and pay sub-contractors. A prow front can benefit you if the home is properly set on your land but can be the most expensive wall in your budget. If your lender wants the house done in a year or so you should consider using your dealer and their resources for your project. Try usaloghomes.com and get a quote for your design in cedar. You can also locate a local representative on the same sight. This company is 40 years old and they know how to help. Good Luck, James Harbin Dealer/Builder for Katahdin Cedar Log Homes Mid-Atlantic

Check out Blue Ridge Log Cabins @ www.blueridgelogcabins.com, they will save you a tremendous amount of time and aggravation.

RSS

Sponsors:

© 2014   Created by Neighborhood Host.

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service