The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

This log building is about 40+ years old, one level with a loft.  It is located in Tennessee where it is hot and humid and it rains alot.  I live in Colorado so I don't get back there to see it very often.  I don't think it has been very well maintained by the tenant.  The South wall, which faces the sun most of the day, is starting to bow out.  You can see where the logs join in the corners where it has separated about 1 to 2 inches.   (see pictures)

I had a contractor look at it, although he is not a log home builder, and he told me how he would go about fixing this problem by lifting up the roof and the wall and resupport it with new beans, then build a new wall, attach the old wall to the new plywood wall and cover that with log siding.  This doesn't really sound like the best way to go about it.  I have a log home builder coming next week to look at it.

How is this kind of problem usually fixed? 

Views: 768

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Lynn. My name is CL Atkins. I looked at the pictures. The first picture shows no sign of bowing out that I could see in the picture.

The second picture is showing the corners. The flat space you are seeing in them is not bowing but is just the way the mortise and tenon corner joints were cut.

The wall in the first picture shows extreme neglect for a good many years it looks like. The home needs media blasting to clean off all the old stain and grime for sure.

It looks as though there will need to be some log replacement on that wall in the picture. Someone would have to take a close look at it to see if it could just be cut back to the solid wood and refaced or if the entire thickness of some of those bad spots is bad.

sell it

RSS

Sponsors:

© 2014   Created by Neighborhood Host.

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service