The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Hi!  My Mom passed away slightly over a year ago now, and she left me an unfinished log home.  It's been in probate, so I'm just now getting to work on it.

I'm nearly ready to begin chinking, but the logs were untreated and gray in places.  I'm going to buy a log wash, and from my reading it seems as though Q8 is the direction I'm headed.  Newbie questions-with Q8, will I need to treat it with something additional on top, or just that?  What kind of chinking do people prefer?

Views: 177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Melody. Welcome to the forum!

If you plan to chink with "modern" synthetic chinking (not old-time mortar), I'd recommend you stay away from Q8. It contains non-drying oils and waxes that interfere with the adhesion of chinking. Even if you chink before you stain, you could end up with failure. You'd then have to attempt to repair areas, which is going to be difficult and costly (removing the chinking, removing as much of the stain as possible, re-staining with something compatible, then re-chinking). Q8 is good for easy maintenance, but with the compatibility issues with chinking, you could find yourself in a pickle. Sashco and other chinking manufacturers will not warranty the chinking when used with incompatible stains, so something to be aware of.

If you want to use an oil-based stain, it'd be best to stick with those that don't contain any non-drying oils. There are several on the market - PPG ProLuxe, our Transformation Log & Timber stain, Sherwin Williams Deckscapes (more of a hybrid stain - water-in-oil emulsion) and the like. Modern high-performance water-based stains are also a good choice. I'm biased, of course, so do your research to see what's out there. I'm always happy to send you general educational information on log home finishing and free samples on Sashco stains, so feel free to reach out. I'm happy to be a resource. I'm also happy to look at photos of the home to give you specific advice about your circumstances. Call or email me with any questions - cbabcock@sashco.com or 720-322-8264 (direct).

Finally, I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure some days are better than others. I hope you find regular comfort in your good memories of time spent with your mom and trust you'll enjoy making some memories of your own in this log home.

Good luck with your project and I hope to hear from you soon!

--- Charis w/ Sashco - www.sashco.com/log-home - cbabcock@sashco.com

Charis,

Thank you!  My local lumber guy recommended Deckscapes but I read some bad reviews about stickiness and splotchiness.

Most of the time, stickiness and splotchiness has more to do with prep that wasn't done properly. I have only used the Woodscapes myself and didn't experience either of those, but didn't get great results long-term, either.

Here at Sashco, we did some comparison testing with several competitors on side-by-side wood panels. Woodscapes didn't perform great, but it wasn't the worst, either. You can see the full report, including how we conducted the testing, here: http://www.sashco.com/log/pdfs/CAP-Competitive-Stain-Report.pdf

--- Charis

Hello Melody - so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.  Hopefully the log home she left you will bring back some of the wonderful memories and become a legacy you can pass along to other family members. 

Appalachian Log Structures produces quite a few log homes that require chinking and the folks who use Q8 Log Oil just love the product.  It is a one coat application, easy to apply (brush or spray), leaves no lap marks and is pretty much a cinch to apply.  Q8 also makes a log wash that will prepare the surface for the finish application.  If you want to find out more about the Q8 products, I suggest you call them and ask for Barbara.  She is the developer of the product and can give you all kinds of insights on how to apply.  They've supplied product to historical projects like Mt. Vernon, and Q8 is also approved to be used on decking end cuts that are now required by code.  Not all products are approved to do this.  Q8 is a great product and great people to work with.  Best of luck on your log home.

Melody, 

I would stick with a Topshelf water base like Sashco or Permachink. I remodel log homes everyday for a living. The extra cost is worth it in the long run. It also wont darken with age if the clear coat is kept up. I have some blog posts and videos on my website and youtube that can help you with your remodel.  What ever you do sanding the entire exterior and proper prep is highly recommended.  Hope this helps 

JD

JD Knight
Guild Log and Timber  LLC
512-703-0518
956-773-9347 cell
www.GuildLogandTimber.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/GuildLogandtimber?feature=mhee
https://www.facebook.com/GuildLogandTimber
https://twitter.com/GuildLogHomes

This is all so much to sort out.  Is there a product anyone could recommend that wouldn't require a topcoat?  A one-step product?

Hi, Melody. Yes, this can be overwhelming. There are some good products out there that are one-step products, sans top-coats. There are also one-coat products. 

We recently partnered with Log Home Living to host a (non-salesy) webinar about choosing a log home stain. The webinar goes through the pros and cons of different stain types, including ease of application, maintenance requirements, durability, etc. etc. You might want to check that out. Hopefully, it clears up some of your confusion and makes the decision a bit easier. You can find it here: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/1111049193340558083?sourc...

I'm also happy to discuss your options with you over the phone. No matter whose stain you choose, you'll want to go in full armed with the knowledge you need so you're confident in your path forward and know what to expect in the years to come. You can call me direct anytime at 720-322-8264.

Have a great day!

--- Charis w/ Sashco - cbabcock@sashco.com 

Hello Melody - Q8 Log Oil is a one-step product and does not require a top coat.  It's what most of our clients use and we use it on our model homes (Appalachian Log Structures) as well.  Been using it for years now.  Easy to use, apply and clean up.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service