The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

I've started sanding but can't stop thinking about the upcoming stain application...lol.

We have decided on Sashco Transformation stain, but are undecided on color.  We are torn between dark gold (we wish it was a little more brown) and dark brown (wish it was  a little more gold).  I was wondering if I could mix these two stains in order to come up with my own color.  Of course I would measure my mix very carefully.

Thanks.

Brent    

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brent - 

You have a couple options:

1) Mix the stains together. Try several mixtures until you get the look you want. Just make sure you're doing the sampling correctly. In generally, brushing on 3 HEAVY coats is about the equivalent of spraying on 2 coats. Apply to the sanded wood, and allow each coat to dry in between in order for the color to fully develop.

2) Apply 1 coat of 1 color and follow with a coat of the other color. Because it's a semi-transparent stain, what is underneath will show through. We have Transformation and Capture users do this quite often.

Hope that helps. :-) 

-- Charis

Thanks Charis!

is this a new build or are you sanding to remove a previous coating?
Have you pressure washed with a cleaner and brightener or do you plan to?

I've tried mixing Transformation a few times, but only for example the browntone dark with browntone medium to make the dark a little less dark and it worked. Mixing gold and brown will work fine to protect your wood, but I doubt gold will make brown more gold, plus how would you control your mixing and measuring and such on mass scale? This is the work of a chemist.

Why not ask Sashco for Transformation base which has not yet been tinted? As an applicator I bet we see exactly this in the near future, Transformation Base. Any paint store could then custom tint.

Thomas Elliott
719 331 4047

Transformation neutral base isn't available yet.

Brett - it is true that you can add universal pigments to the stain, as long as they're transoxide pigments, but it's not as controllable as mixing together the already-available stains. And mixing the stains isn't difficult for a DIYer to accomplish and get a good color. I've done it myself. :-) Indeed, you have to keep a good log of the different mixes and do proper sampling, but it has been done on many occasions with good results.

-- Charis

Using Sashco Transformation we have settled on 1 part Dark Red to 2 parts Dark Brown. 

I'm going to buy one 5 gallon pail of Dark Red, and two 5 gallon pails of Dark Brown.  I will open each 5 gallon container and mix thoroughly with a drill, then I will pour each one into a separate clean 5 gallon bucket.  I will then carefully measure 1 quart of Dark Red (from the  gallon bucket I poured it into) and pour it into one of the original containers, and next I will carefully measure 2 quarts of Dark Brown (from the 5 gallon bucket I poured it into) and add it to the 1 gallon of Dark Red previously poured into the 5 gallon bucket.  I will be measure using quarts because this is small enough measuring container to manage well, but large enough for the work to go fast. 

After I have the three original stain containers refilled with my new color of 1 part Dark Red and 2 parts Dark Brown I will mix each one with a drill before putting their lids tightly back on.

I feel certain this will be accurate enough to have consistent color from each pail, and since I am using the same stain (Sasco Transformation), just with different colors (Dark Red & Dark Brown) there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

I considered using a clean plastic 30 gallon barrel by pouring each 5 gallon container of stain into (after mixing each one with a drill of course), mixing together well inside the barrel, then pouring it out of the barren back into the original containers through a spigot I would install at the bottom of each barrel.  This would be easier with no measuring, just pour and mix, but I don't know how I could mix 15 gallons of stain in the barrel because my mixer attached to my drill simply isn't long enough.  I'm still working on this process and if I figure that part out I will go that route.

Back to grinding/sanding...ugg.

Brent

Yes you can mix, I always use this tricks if want to use different shades of the same color. But never tried for getting a completely new color. I don't their should be any problem with this.

RSS

Sponsors:

© 2014   Created by Neighborhood Host.

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service