The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

I get moisture and ice on the windows inside. can I get help on the cause and the remedy? With the cold temps in vermont this week (-24), I could have skated on my windows.

Thanks

Dave

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Warm moist indoor air looks for path of least resistance to get outside.  Windows are an easy target.  If they are double pane and Low E glass (newer windows standard), you would have very little of this.  Check the indoor humidity and keep it no more than 40% year round.  In the winter in VT, usually so dry that many add humidity to the air.  Sometimes windows near cooking stove, water or gas fireplace attract the moisture.  Especially on the north side without direct sunlight.  Storing wet firewood inside is another no-no. 

Replacing the window in the spring, caulking around it from inside and outside, or adding storm windows are all options.  There might be some tax incentives to consider one option over another. 

David,

What brand of windows are we talking about here? It would help others avoid purchasing this brand/type.

I agree with Chris, This should not be a problem with good windows.

Tim Bullock www.tamaracklogandtimberhomes.com

I', not sure the brand. The house was built in 1989.

some one mentioned to me that if the logs leak, that could be it also.

David, 

You can try and deny it, but it is the windows and not the logs. It won't happen with a good quality double pane or triple pane if you really want to do it right.

Bob Warren

Khita Log Builders Ltd.

www.khita.com

Ok, looks like it's the windows. I would rather it be the windows than anything else,

Thanks

Dave

We put a lot of water vapor into the air living in a home.  Look for the easy stuff first -- do you have Energy Star rated bath fans in rooms with showers, tubs, and laundry?  They should be on a humidistat switch or an EFI timer switch that runs for 20-30 minutes after you leave bath and shut off the light.  Is sove hood vented outside and not recirculating?  Google "building science - water vapor" for info.

Steve,

You make a good point about excessive water vapour being a possible cause. If a house is tight and not properly ventilated that can be a problem. 

The original poster said that he could skate on his windows. If they are that cold it certainly is a lack of R value in the fenestration. A good quality window will fix it.

Bob Warren

Khita Log Builders Ltd.

www.khita.com

RSS

© 2018   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service