The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

It seems a never ending battle with mold/mildew on my log home.  The home is about 30' tall at the peak so it's difficult to get on ladders each spring/fall and scrub the logs to clean them.  If I just spray on Log Wash, it doesn't do anything unless I scrub.

I just stained my home 2 years ago.  I pressure washed it last summer and washed it again earlier this spring.  I use Log Wash.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this?  Or is this just the log home life and I should get used to it?  I've been dealing with this for 19 years now :)

It wouldn't be so bad if I could just spray something on the logs and the solution would take off the mold/mildew, but it seems I have to hand scrub to get any impact.  With a 3500 sq ft log home, 2 stories, that's a lot of hand scrubing ;)

I've attached some pictures.  There is both white and black mold in various places on my home.  I appreciate any feedback.


Views: 155


Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mr. Timothy,

 I'm no expert in this area, but my cabin's surrounded by tons of trees on three sides and we're in the Caribbean. Mine is only 24' high, but I hose down the logs after using a bleach solution or TSP. I then allow them to dry about 3 days, and have been using Woodguard for the past 27 years and it works great. My logs are borate treated.  Judging from your pics. it looks like your logs were pressure treated. If so, maybe your treatment doesn't adhere well to them. If they aren't, make sure you're not power washing them to hard, I believe you shouldn't exceed 500 psi or you'll damage the logs. look into it. Hope this helps some.



Next time you clean and apply a clear coat add mildecide to clearcoat.  That will help your maintenance troubles. Jomax is a good cleaner but you have to be careful and your existing clearcoat before you reclear has to be in good shape or it can damage the color coat. Of course always spot treat before moving forward full throttle.  


Dont pressure wash at all. Hand wash with a brush and regular water pressure. Pressure washers are nothing but trouble if not removing stain. 


Thanks for sharing the info and photos.  From the photos it doesn’t look all that bad.  You are getting the mold  because you applied an oil based finish which is a good environment to culture this type of mold.  It also appears that the home may have been coated multiple times with various finishes creating and incompatible conconglomerate conducive to mold.  You can keep fighting the situation, remove the finish and use a higher quality finish, or let it go as your 3 different options.  If it’s in the budget I suggest media blast that old finish off, sand, spray logs with borate and stain with a high quality multi coat finish.


I agree with Tom. Those oil based stain do that for sure in their older age. 

Hi Tim,

It looks like you have plenty of replies but for what it's worth, I had some very old logs on a 1940s cabin with LOTS of mold and mildew (my logs were basically black). I media blasted using crushed glass, osborn brushed the logs, applied penetreat (borate treatment) and then applied 3 coats of Sashco Transformation with a mildewcide treatment added to the stain called "Stay clean". My logs have been rock solid ever since.



© 2018   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service