The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

I thought I'd throw this out there for general discussion and, perhaps, to invoke a bit of introspection among builders. But, first a little bit about me, lest you think I'm a complete nut: I've just been a participant here for a few weeks. I'm a reasonably educated guy--a retired Air Force officer with a professional post-grad degree--and have dealt with a variety of executives across a large array of industries.

My wife and I at long last find ourselves in the position where we can seriously consider building a log cabin. So, we've been exploring the options, doing a fair amount of research, reading up on the subject, and discussing our options with suppliers and builders. The last year, during which time I've devoted a lot of time to research, has gotten me up to speed as we approach the time when we're actually going to start building. However, we attended the Indianapolis show this weekend and it finally struck me why so many people who explore building a log home don't do so: it's because those in the business are apparently pretty sour on log homes in general.

Why do I say that? Well, it's because the pitch I've heard time after time seems to come down to this: "[Name the competitor]'s way of doing things is horrible. It's expensive, takes forever, and will leave you with a home you'll regret owning. It will warp, settle, attract bugs, develop drafts, and generally rot away beneath your feet. And that's if they don't walk away before your home is finished, leaving you financially ruined. Even if none of those things happen, you'll end up paying through the nose for an inferior product. My price? Well, I can't really say."

Just something for those of you in the industry to mull over: This leaves a guy like me with a number of choices, but the easiest is to just walk away from the whole notion of a log home. You and your competitors are certainly doing a bang-up job of instilling distrust of log homes and of those in the industry. I'm not suggesting that the answer is to gather in a circle and begin singing "Kumbaya," but it might be beneficial to the entire industry if it were to embrace an attitude of aggressive competition that didn't rely on bashing everyone else's way of doing things.

How you accomplish this, I can't say. But, I can tell you that my honest appraisal is that there's a deep rot in the industry, and it manifests itself in a pervasive sales pitch that most log homes should be avoided by the plague. It ultimately instills in many a serious fear of owning a log home.

Having said all that, I continue my search. But, guys . . . there's got to be a better way.

/rant.

Views: 1076

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Michael,

Pretty common, but there is a better way.

I would be more than happy to help in any way I can.

We would need to know your likes, area you are building (it does make a difference)

when choosing the log profile. We can provide what ever you want.

From reading all the responses it appears that even the home buyers have varing opinions.

The key is not to be pressured, and do the research.

Blessings!

Jim

I know exactly what you mean.  You go to a log home show and one guy tells you his method is the best and at the next booth that guy tells you his method is the best and that all other reps are lying to you. Then you go to the third booth and he tells you that the first two guys were lying to you.  Then you talk to builders and you hear a similar tune from just about all of them:  "If you don't go with me you're sacrificing quality."

I'm not sure I can offer any advice for builders, but one thing that seems to make sense when licking a log home company is to stick with companies that have been around 25-30 years.  If you do that I can't say that you will be guaranteed of not getting jacked around, but I think that many of the companies. who aren't reputable will have fallen by the wayside by then.

Well we really hit a nerve here. I recommend hochstetler milling.419-994-4758 AMISH get away from the usual.

What you have said here is very true.  Talking about your experience, on this forum, now has opened you up to pesty sales people.  Sales people who use this forum to pitch their log home system, (which each says theirs is the best)  LOL  Sales people who use this forum (FOR FREE ADVERTISING) which I feel cheapens their businesses even more, then badmouthing their competition.  My advice to you is:  Check the BBB, court records, attorney general sites, bankruptcy records, etc..... before you do business with anyone.  And always remember, never pay anyone, not even the log home manufacturer, until you have the product on your property and you have inspected it.  If a manufacturer wants you business, they will work with a letter of commitment from your bank.

RSS

Sponsors:

© 2014   Created by Neighborhood Host.

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service