The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Greetings everyone!  I want to paint and distress my kitchen buffet area cabinets.  I saw what I wanted to accomplish in the latest on line newsletter from Log Home Living.  Here is the link to the mountain retreat in Big Sky, Mt., http://www.loghome.com/mountain-retreat/ scroll down to the kitchen and you will see what I am talking about.  My own kitchen is almost identical as to coloration and style of cabinets.  My cabinets are a knotty alder with a clear satin finish.  The frames around the windows in the kitchen and dining area are painted a barn red.  I love the black finish and am open to what the color underneath might be, from just using the wood color to painting a color to be exposed when they are distressed.  My countertops and backsplash are very nuetral(a light carmel color)so there will be no fear of clashing.  If anyone has any expertise on this subject, I sure would appreciate a step by step how to on this! Thanks in advance!

Views: 597

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I found a bunch of videos on YouTube that give step-by-step instructions on distressing furniture and cabinets.  You might hop on there to watch.

-- Charis

Thank you Charis!  I didn't think of that.  I checked it out and it is most helpful.  Going to start practicing on a piece of wood that I had removed from the cabinet to put in a glass panel.  I will post when I'm done.  Yikes, big endeavor for me. Cheers!

Here are some distress kitchen furniture ideas that can help you choose which direction to go. I think it would be great if you would choose one color and work your way on painting all the furniture and cabinets with that color/stain. Charis is right, there are a bunch of youtube videos about distressing cabinets. I think it would be great if you can sand/remove the stain of your cabinets and furniture before distressing them to give them a new look.

I build most of my own cabinets etc. 

We are still under construction (excuse the mess).

This is a pic (not so great) of a butcher block rolling baking cart I made for my wife, out of some old barn wood and some left over maple and oak scraps for the top.  I made the doors from maple too (flat panel).  Simple drawer on slides.

She painted it a buttermilk yellow (from Rockler), and heavy glazed with a burn umber, and then put a couple coats of clear satin poly over it.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service