The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

We are considering having our 30 year chinkless loghome RhinoShield instead of restained. Is there any experts or/and experienced log home owners that have done this to the exterior logs?

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jim,

I have some experience speaking with a homeowner that had a rubber coating applied to their exterior log walls. I work for Perma-Chink Systems by the way. The homeowner experienced sagging and had to take off the rubber coating only to find that the walls had a lot of rot that needed to be repaired. We concluded that this happened due to the rubber coating not being breathable. Logs need to be able to breathe and let moisture out otherwise rot fungi will grow.

In short, I wouldn't do it.

What I would do is contact some companies that manufacture log home specific full systems of products and get samples to try. Do more research, try a lot of samples, choose a finish that is breathable and flexible. Good Luck!

Kevin, PCS Redmond

Thank you so much for your input. Anyone else have any experience with RhinoShield, it is a ceramic guaranteed coating?

Hello Jim,

I agree with Kevin, the RhinoShield would not be a good choice for a log home. I have seen homes covered with similar products in the past and they all had severe rot issues. One home, I recall, had such severe decay that they needed to replace an entire wall at great expense.

Logs need to breathe, and I would use a good vapor-permeable acrylic finish. Contact Kevin or myself and we would be happy to send you some samples of products designed for log homes.

Dave Dikeman

Timeless Wood Care Products

I also agree with Kevin. Any "coating", such as a rubber or polyurethane one, will n ot allow moisture out. This will create a rot and fungi issue that will cost you hundreds or thousands to properly remove and repair. We have had great success with Sashco's TRANSFORMATION stain, and we live in northwestern Pennsylvania near Erie, which has been the nation's snow capital for decades now!

RSS

Sponsors:

© 2014   Created by Neighborhood Host.

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service