The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

After lots of reasearch and questions I have begun refinishing my home.  It is roughly 2500 square feet of log surface area, and is made from D profile tongue and groove yellow pine logs.  It was previously stained with Woodguard and then painted over, and then neglected.  Surprisingly the wood is in relatively good condition.  I am going to apply Sashco Transformation and will be taking it down to bare wood before applying the stain.  

I asked on an earlier post about smoothing out the deep grooving that exists on the surface of the logs, and after rremoving the paint and most of the Woodguard stain I think I have determined what this gooving is.  It appears that sometime in the past the logs were blasted with way too much gusto, and as a result there are many surface areas that are very rough and have had small grooves blasted onto the surface of the logs. 

I want to take these rough areas down to smooth wood but do not know the best tool to use.  Right now I am thinking that an angle grinder would be best, but am unsure of what kind of sanding disks to use, how many I will need, and were to get them.  I saw zirconium sanding disks at Lowes that appeared like they would work, but I am unsure if these disks are safe to use on logs. 

There are a few locations that are extremely rough and will be difficult to smooth by sanding alone.  I was considering using a Wood Shark Grinding Disk for these areas before sanding.

Any suggestions are appreciated. 

Thanks.

Brent 

Views: 440

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't really see it from the picture there. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. I'm sure it's a good tool with a name like that!

Yeah, definitely not clear pictures on that site.  I believe it is the same thing as this product from Perma-Chink: http://www.pcsproducts.com/p-81-grinding-disks.aspx

I started sanding yesterday using the grinder and the hook and loop sanding disks you recommend.  They are working well.  In fact the area I was concerned the most about (the locations with the damaged surface) is very easy and fast to sand down to smooth, clean wood.  The area I was least concerned about (under the porch where it has weathered the least) is much more difficult.  All in all I am making good process with these tools, and hope to have it finished in 3 or 4 weekends.  Thanks again for your advice.

Brent

RSS

Sponsors:

© 2014   Created by Neighborhood Host.

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service