The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

We are getting ready to build our log home and we can't decide on shingle roofing or galvanized roofing. What is the difference in cost and effeciency?

Views: 1426

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I'm having the same delima, last summer painted metal was running 30% more than asphalt shingles in MO. That was when fuel was 4.00 per gal and everyone was blaming rising prices on oil, didnt check to see if asphalt ever came back down in price, that would be rare, hopefully I'm wrong, were gearing up for our roof late spring, still can't decide, metal or shingles, good luck to you.
In texas I'm paying less than $3. a linear ft for 26 guage pro-panel/rib type painted (36 inches wide). If the pitch on your house isn't super steep, metal would be the best way to go if you're doing it yourself. The labor is a breeze on a std roof line compared to laying shingles.
Greg et al, You might want to consider reading Stewart Brands book....How buildings learn..What happens after they are built? I like steel but prefer true standing seam.......no unsightly nails or screws. Stewart likes steel too!!!!!!!
Go with metal. Its made of recycled content and can be recycled at the end of its long life. Asphalt will need to be replaced and thrown in the dump one or two times during the life of good standing seam roof. Watch for sliding snow areas (if applicable), it can be tricky in that situation. Yes it costs more up front, but not in the lifecycle costs. If heating is a concern, galvanized will reflect heat, asphalt will store it. Painted standing seam can have heat reflective pigments added if you are in an appropriate area.

Derek Hurd
www.gravitas.us
if you do the metal right, with ice dam protection and protected edges and fastenings, it should last literally forever. and you get to pick colors. it sheds water and snow and ice much better and will not have any problems with wind. depending on your home design, you can also do metal that replicates tiles or shakes.
Remember that it will shed snow and ice only if the pitch is great enough. If it is not steep enough, you don't want someone up on a metal roof trying to shovel snow off.
Didn't consider the snow issue, I don't live in yankeeville, but it seems that the metal would work better in the snow. Of course, I guess it could have the avalanche thing going.
to all,
"he who have flat roof in snow not too bright."
flat roofs are for hot climates, period. slope it.
best,
howard
Julie and I had planned to do a metal roof all along, until we talked with three good roofers in our area. We have a shed dormer and two gable dormers on our roof. Our roof is a 12/12 pitch down to the porches, then goes to a 12/6 pitch over the porches. We were told by all three roofers that we would be best to choose asphalt shingles for our roof. We did and we are very pleased with the outcome. Asphalt shingles come in 30, 40, and 50 year shingles. One thing to consider also is the sound of rain and hail on the roof; we won't hear either nearly as much as we would have with a metal roof. Feel free to look at our pictures and see what you think. You will get advice from owners and builders trying to convince you that metal or shingles is the way to go. When it comes down to making a decision, talk with roofers who know what will be best for your roofing system. The roofers I talked with have done both metal and asphalt shingle systems. Dave
Metal for sure. Most of the home destroied in the Santa Barbara fire last week had shingles or other combustible material for roofing.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service