The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

I'm putting together an article on master suites for an upcoming issue of Country's Best Cabins, and I'd like to hear back from some of you about what you're creating in your custom log home. Over the past twenty years or so, many master suites have become much more luxurious, with increased square footage, large walk-in closets, decadent whirlpool tubs and more, but with the recent downturn in the economy, I imagine many people have had to cut some corners on their dream bedroom retreats. Has this been the case for you? How have your plans changed, if at all?

I'm also looking for design tips for master suite layouts (i.e., "Put the closet between the master bedroom and the open living spaces to reduce noise coming from the rest of the home"), so please share your suggestions.

I'll be curious to see how design details differ in primary residences versus getaway homes! Maybe your log home is just your crash pad for weekend activities outside the home and you just need the bare essentials, or maybe you have a luxurious setup there that's even more elaborate than what you've got at home. Let me know what's going on in your home, and I might share your ideas in the magazine. Thank you!

Views: 402

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm quite curious to read what you find myself as I am changing my design daily. My master suite is a twenty by twenty cabin and as it is placed high on the mountain the south wall will be full of glass to capture the view and no glass to the east because I dont like the sun in my eyes in the morning. I intend to put the whirlpool just far enough away from the bed that the covers dont get wet but close enough that diving is still optional. The walk through closet will lead to the master bath and an aditional door will lead to the main living quarters. I intend to keep the room fairly open and uncluttered, flat screen tv's sure help with that.

This will be my main residence so I want lots of room to move around on a rainy day. There will be direct acess to the porch from the bedroom as well.

Our master suite is not what you'd call ultra luxurious or even as large as in our previous home. We broke a supposed log home design rule by having a soaring ceiling which, probably because of our large logs, did not eliminate that warm cozy feeling you want in a bedroom. Large windows, cross ventilation, infloor heat, and hardwoods were all important. Absolutely no TV - that's not what a bedroom is for. Our entire house is open with the sunroom, kitchen, greatroom, bridge and loft all flowing together, but the master bedroom is an immediate retreat - it's close to the action, but close the door and it's the quietest place around. From a small foyer you can go into a walk-in closet or the master bathroom or the bedroom. Every wall is log - no drywall here, not even the closet. The bathroom has a large shower and a clawfoot tub. If you're interested I have pictures here on this site as well as a little slide show on my blog: Edge of Escape

When we first purchased our home from a CEO in 2009 the master bedroom was a very large 1000 sqft area with a large bathroom, a walk in closet, and a lot of open space.

In the process of making the home a vacation rental, we remodeled it.  The remodel turned the area into two bedrooms and a dining area.   

You can see our Yellowstone Log Home at:

www.yellowstoneloghome.us 

RSS

Sponsors:

© 2014   Created by Neighborhood Host.

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service