The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Hello everyone. Our log home was built in 2010 and there is one large (our largest) exposed wall that leaks through the log checks during wind-driven rains. We have had the house sealed and stained twice in 7 years (other than the original stain). While it has helped, we still have the problem every time we get wind-driven horizontal rain. We have resorted to filling all the checks we can get to with log caulk which has helped greatly, but we know it is just a temporary solution and it becomes unsightly after several applications.

Other than spending the rest of our natural lives sealing checks, does anyone know of any other solution?  We have even considered some type of siding for that wall (perish the thought).  

I've enclosed a picture of the wall in question.  The change in color is caused by the caulking we applied, not by sun exposure.  If anyone has any suggestions, we would certainly appreciate it!

Carlos

Views: 327

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like Chris's response,  thats why I interjected...:)  His idea is exactly what I have actually done.  My awning roof just almost  butts up against my siding.  I have 2' overhangs on the rake, and the distance between the awning and the rake overhang is not that great, so there is really no problem with rain etc.  Ideally I  could have cut the siding back and flashed it, but there is no problem with rain etc.  It just gives extra protection for my door.  :)  I basically notched / assembled and then bolted the brackets to the building, and used 3 thick planks (3" x 6")which span the front of the garage from bracket to bracket.  My porches are different, I  flashed to the siding.  In your application you could (or your carpenter) insert a flashing into the groove between the logs that would overhang the roofing.  On the back side of my barn addition, I have to build anorther awning which will extend about 4 -1/2', and I already previously installed flashing behind the siding for the metal roof.

Also....my awning pitch is the same as Chris said 3.5 / 12.

I think a better method to flash your awning (but I will leave to this to the experienced with D logs) would be to cut a groove perhaps 3/4"-1" deep into the log angled upward, then insert the flashing into this groove, and color match caulk and secure with small stainless or color matched nails every so often. 

RSS

© 2017   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service