The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone used "great stuff" to seal around doors and windows? I live in a "Real Log" home for about six years now and the house has been moving (swelling and shrinking), and doing its thing. Around my windows and doors are voids to allow for movement. The voids are packed with insulation since the home was built and covered by interior trim boards. But I was thinking of removing the insulation and spraying in "great stuff" (for windows and doors of course) for a more sealed off fit. Has anyone else done this? Is six years long enough to wait to spray in a sealer? Would you recommend doing this or should I keep with the insulation?



Views: 223

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ken,
What I usually advice people to do is to put backer rod into the gap around the doors and windows and then seal over it with a 3/8" thick bead of Energy Seal or Stack-N-Seal 2. The two sealants that I mentioned are made with the movement (swelling and shrinking) of logs in mind. They also accept stain or finish very well so you can belnd the beads in with the logs. Applied according to instructions this should be a one time fix. Here is a link to our sealant application guide;
If you have any other questions feel free to shoot me an email.
Good luck with your project!
Hi Ken,

I would also have to agree with Kevin on using a backer rod to fill up the gap around the door and windows and then use a caulking that is made for log home. Most caulk out there today has lasticity and can move and contract with the wood and are paintable and stainable. They will blend in nice with your stain.

If you would like more information feel free to email me at and I would be happy to send you out some more information about caulks.

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you and Kevin are talking about concerning the backer rod, but isn't a backer rod used on horizontal areas and then covered with the caulking? The voids I have are on both sides and top of the doors and windows. Some are significant voids, depending on the movement. The voids are rectangular, maybe 2 or 3 inches wide and run the length or width of the windows or doors. They would not have to be stained as they are covered by interior wood trim. Not sure if I'm looking for a caulking or an insulation type barrier (although the caulking would do the same job, but in places it would take a lot of caulk apposed to an expandable foam product). Am I thinking straight, does my line of thought make sense and can I accomplish what I intend on doing with the "great stuff"?
Well if you are covering the gaps with trim sure fill them with insulation or great stuff. Then after you put the trim on in you have any kind of an air leakage issue you can always caulk from the trim to the walls as needed. Sounds like a plan to me. Good luck with the project!

- Kevin


© 2019   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service