The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

what window color looks best with logs? white is a nice contrast but it is white. I was thinking maybe a alum. clad but staining  the wood on the frames is very time consuming. what do you think?

Views: 7543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just so you don't lose focus, I would put color lower down on the scale to look at for new windows. Top of my list is the performance characteristic of the window, and in particular if it is Energy Star qualified. I would rather live with an imperfect color than uncomfortable temperatures or high energy costs.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=find_a_product.showP...

I agree with making color a lower level priority vs. window quality;  For many windows, there are color options available in a very decent quality window.......as was the case for us.  While we didn't rock Marvins throughout the house or anything, we did use some decent Andersen products, so far we are happy with them.  we used Pellas years ago in our house in MA and while I'm not thrilled with them, they have been decent for the money for the 10 years since we put them in.

If color dictated a crappier window, I would skip out on color for quality........

Definitely, the Mesa Red that Jeld Wen has for its windows.  It makes the cabin pop!!

mary

We are going to go with a red color for our windows. I have not seen it around here too much but I think it will look great. I'm tired of seeing green on every log home.

Red

we went with tan. opting to get the most efficient and largest windows we could so we sacrificed on the color. you can check out our progress here.

www.deeradise.blogspot.com

thanks for all the replies

Which brand?
That is the main reason we went with red. Seems like what few log homes there are around here have green rooofs and trim. We are happy with our choice.

Alot of people use a clad window to match their shingles or metal.   Most popular - Green.   We've done red, brown, black and blue.   The black is beautiful if you plan to use rod iron accents. 

Yeah....I be that black would look great too...or bronze.

Here is a close up of Jeld Wen Mesa Red with prarie grills in the upper sash.  This is from my own small log home, the rear shingled bumpout.

Excuse the pipe staging.....

Looks Great!  I also like your shakes.

Do you have other pictures of your house? 

Yes...but I am a bit hesitant to post them (with all the experts here).

Its not finished yet...we have been building it since around July (just the two of us).

Its a small hewn white cedar home.

There will be a rap around porch just above the black paper.

The pic is a little "squashed for some reason.

Its all cedar (white and red), except for the pine soffits.

I cut the trim out of cedar logs (or use slabs from squaring beams) with my chain saw and then plane them. 

The large double hung windows were salvaged from a building project...thats why we chose the prarie grills.

It also has a walk out basement.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service