The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

I am looking forward to being educated in going green. We do want to go green when building our log home.

Views: 25

Replies to This Discussion

That is why I joined this group also and welcome. I am not an expert on this tho and try to read and learn good ways to build without costing an arm and leg. I haven't done very well posting here but will try to post more things as I learn about them and hope you do as well.
Great Martin. I was hoping more people would post on here , esp different building techniques, and new products and ideas, but its been kind of quiet. Your input would greatly be appreciated. I'm by far not an expert, but I do read a lot esp. with green ideas, so I do have more to share also. I also have thought about making my own wagon wheel chandelier also to go over a dining room table but haven't found the right wheel yet. Welcome to going green Martin.
I've built several Green Homes in the past. The modern materials are great and the really useful ones are on the cheep end when you weigh in benifits. For a log home, the chinking method and materials are key for the walls. The roof method I plan to use allows a nice tounge and grove interior view, insulation, air space then roofing. I plan to grove my joist beams so the T&G fits in and can be then sealed with spray foam from the exterior side before placing the sheathing and metal roofing down.

Any time you build you can take advantage of passive solar techniques on the south facing walls. 4-5 foot overhangs will help keep the sun off these walls in the summer months but allow them to gather up heat for the evenings in the winter. A Sun room/ green house room is another way to use passive solar collection. Glass sliding door interior walls will help keep excess moisture from the home interior but let the heat in at night. On the south walls, smaller window area helps keep the heat in the house rather than seeping out into nature.

RSS

Sponsors:

© 2014   Created by Neighborhood Host.

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service